Sunday 8 November 2009

Modern Studies Association conference 2009

The Modern Studies Association (MSA) held its annual conference at the University of Strathclyde (Jordanhill)on Saturday.

The first thing I'd like to say about it is an enormous thanks to the MSA conference organisers. An event such as this, which attracted an incredible 230 teachers, requires months of (unpaid) planning. There are speakers to be invited, halls and classrooms to be set up, catering to be booked, goody bags to be packed, all of which takes an enormous amount of time. All of the organisers are full time teachers who do this kind of work in their own time. So, from one guy who had a great day on Saturday, thank you to Alison, Gordon, Guch, Henry, Irene, Jayne, Jim, Melanie, Pamela and Ruth, hope I never left anyone out!

I'd like to thank the teachers who stayed on for my talk on teaching the USA in the afternoon. The MSA conference is a demanding day. Its a packed programme. So, I'm indebted to the USA workshop teachers for being in such good humour. I'm particularly indebted to the two (any others?) American teachers present; Ted Hall at St George's, Edinburgh and John Zehner at Holy Cross High School, Hamilton.

At the end of the talk I had a little bit of fun at President George W Bush's expense, which the two Americans, thankfully, took in good spirit. If you know me at all, you know I love the USA so the last thing I'd want to do is offend any Americans over here, especially in John's situation as he is a Fulbright teacher, here for a year. How would I feel if I was in America and teachers were all laughing at Alex Salmond or Jack McConnell?

I didn't get to any of the workshops as I nipped out in the morning to interview the Labour candidate for the Glasgow North East by-election, Willie Bain, for Tuesday's blog. I'm interviewing John Smeaton, the Greens' David Doherty and, hopefully, the SNP's David Kerr and the SSP's Kevin McVey tomorrow night. The post will be a light hearted one. It won't be heavy political analysis, just a showcase of the more human side of people who want to represent you.

I spent most of the conference trying to get people to support Cross Out Poverty. Neil Galbraith, who is the main organiser of COP, had to go away to do a funeral. I suppose that's what happens when you have a Minister running a campaign. You'd be mistaken though if you think COP is some kind of mad religious thing. It's not. Neil is the kind of guy who is danger of getting organised religion a good name. You can do something for COP, whatever your religion or none.

Its all about a) celebrating, in the best possible way, Scottishness, on St Andrew's Day. Not party political and certainly not in any way anti anyone else, just the many things Scots have done and are doing. It can be the Modern Stuides dept, the Art dept, the Music dept, any part of a school, on 30 November, celebrating Scottishness.

But, then b) while we're doing this, asking, why are there still children living in Scotland in poverty? Why is this scandal still happening? What can be done? What can I do and what should others be doing?

This year's COP is really a dummy run involving some Glasgow schools in Neil's parish. But, next year, I really think this campaign will be very high profile. Children in Need is alright, but there is no political focus at all. It's almost as if the event is a core BBC show itself, part and parcel of the organisation like Strictly or MOTD. Our Children in Need raised more millions this year than last year! Wey-hey! Next year will be even better! Its a disgrace that there's any need for Children in Need at all.

I'm all for helping children in need, but let's ask why they have to be in need in the first place and what can be done, rather than just ask people, who already pay plenty in taxes, to hand over even more of their money.

No comments:

Post a Comment