Wednesday 21 October 2009

BNP on Question Time

Question Time is one of these programmes that, over the years, has frequently frustrated me.

I usually tune in and more times than not get mad at the comments made by the professional politicians (bland and predictable) or by the token celeb (idiotic and pointless).

I'm not arrogant enough to think that I have all the answers, or even any of them, but I normally cry out for someone to just get off the script and give an informed, opinionated answer.

Where I am these days politically, I don't look for total agreement, just respect for someone with a compelling point of view.

What Nick Griffin, the British National Party's leader is doing on the show beggars belief.

What exactly does he bring to it?

A bit of racism? Yes. It's in the party's constitution and he's the leader. Racism is what he does.

A bit of fascism? Yes. The Germans don't have a monopoly of fascism. We've always had our own homegrown little Hitlers and Griffin is just the 21st century version.

Oh, but the BNP deserve to be on the show. They've two MEPs and represent the views of those who voted for them. That's what democracy is.

But, democracy is what the BNP oppose.

Democracy is what they would, by definition, deny non-caucasian British people.

They can't have their cake and eat it.

I'm really sorry that the BBC have provided a platform for the odious views of the BNP.

I won't tune in. I know Griffin's views. I just hope the other panellists, and the audience, expose the BNP for what they really are.

Call me naive if you like, but fed up with MPs expenses, bankers bonuses and disillusioned by the political process as many voters undoubtedly are, I don't believe half as many would vote for the BNP if they knew what they really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment