Saturday 26 December 2009

Good times, bad times

I think we all know that Christmas and New Year is a tricky time of year.

We're urged by the media to spend, spend, spend and have loads of fun.

This is despite the fact that an increasing number of people in the UK do not think of themselves as Christian and know little of Christ's teachings.

The original Christmas story (and its up to you how much of it you believe) was of someone, eventually, opening their door to a couple of asylum seekers, desperate for somewhere to give birth.

Its a long way from online sales, binge drinking and Simon bleeding Cowell.

Not that I'm a grump!

I've had a great Christmas!

I just remember times when I didn't. I'm sure we've all had our difficult days at this time of year. When its cold and dark, everything's shut and the whole world (apart from you) seems to be happy, its not surprising that organisations like The Samaratins get record numbers of calls.

That's the difference between being alone and being lonely. Being lonely is grim. Being alone, sometimes, is just about essential!

I've actually always liked being on my own a wee bit at Christmas. I think it goes back to childhood when I'd get my new ball or tracksuit and go out for a kick-a-bout. None of mates would be allowed out as they had relatives visiting. So, I'd go over to Bellahouston Park and kick the ball about myself. For hours. It was great.

(Immediate post-Revie era Leeds tracksuit, now, quite rightly, a retro classic, was my favourite present ever and my mum gave me a terrible row for getting it dirty the first time I wore it, which I felt was a wee bit unfair. Give a 10 year old a white tracksuit to play football in?)

This year, in between the various get-togethers, I've managed a bit of solitary quality time to read Harlan Cobden's Hold Tight. Highly recommended if you like your crime thrillers.

My six year old son has had a brilliant time and he's lit up our Christmas they way only kids can. He's up at 6am every morning and he drags me out of bed for his usual games and now his new ones. The other morning, once my mrs got up and took over duties, I sneaked out and took some photos of the Winter Wonderland Aberdour has become these last few days.

Aberdour really is one of the most gorgeous places on earth and I'm really lucky to live here. I haven't always lived in Winter Wonderlands and I haven't always had happy family Christmases. But the bad times just make you enjoy the good times all the more.

2 comments:

  1. Great post John, I couldn't agree more.

    I was particularly encouraged this year when our children (aged 14, 17 & 19) suggested to us that we make a donation to charity rather than get lots of presents. We did that and made a donation to MS Revive Support (http://revivems.ning.com/).

    We all had a great day yesterday, kids all in great form and none of them appeared to have dampened spirits because there wasn't a large pile of presents waiting for them.

    While I've been writing this comment the news has been on in the background, they've been talking about record sales already today because it's the first time in 11 years that Boxing Day has fallen on a Saturday. And, confidence seems to be returning to the High Street, this statement is based on sales this morning (I'm writing this at 1.30pm on Boxing Day).

    Surly, the fact that it's a Saturday is irrelevant as Boxing Day is a public holiday every year and, how can you base an economic turning point on a single morning's sales?

    I rather think it could be the opposite; people are so cost conscious that they need to take advantage of bargains and reduced prices.

    I don't mean to be a grump either, I want to see improvement in the economy but we have to be realistic - Boxing Day turnout for bargains is not a good way to measure the economy of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gordon,

    Glad the Whites all had a great time.

    The frustrating thing about a recession is how you can talk yourself into one. People have money but they're reluctant to spend it as all the talk is "no matter who wins the next election its gonna be tough".

    So, people don't spend and firms make cuts, which might make sense for them from an individual point of view, but because everyone else is doing the same thing, it lowers demand, which leads to another round of job cuts...and so on...

    I've had to explain this to a number of teachers who have said to me "when are bringing out an International Issues book?". I say, "when things in the economy get better".

    In my own wee way, by not investing in a new product, for fear of a lack of demand, I'm contributing to the recession too as the printers, who sent me their lovely calendar the other day, aren't getting the business they got from me in 2007 and 2008.

    Now, if the Scottish Government was to ring fence some funds for school books that would be a different matter.....

    ReplyDelete